fragile heart colourful and quirky wool and felt accessories

handmade felt

Friday 6 July 2012

bits and pieces....

I have so many baskets of felt; pieces left over from larger projects, they twinkle at me from the corners of my work room, the combinations of colour and texture just call out to me until I can resist no longer and I have to go through those baskets, pick out some jewels and make them into something new.  


This week I have spent quite some time examining these little gems; some have silk, yarn or fabric embedded into them, and separating them into piles of complimentary colours. After cutting out some flower and leaf shapes.....


.....I came up with a new necklace design and embellished it with stitch.


 I was so pleased with this first one that I made a few more. I have named them my Posie Necklaces. Some are pale and delicate while others are bright and vibrant.


 Two of these are for sale on my Etsy store.
 I don't know if this has anything to do with the weather but I have also been drawn to making 'watery' items this week. Fish and mermaids. I particularly like Aqua Marina, below....


......she's quite slim and elegant isn't she....??.....I'm so jealous!!....


.......and to brighten up the dull days I made some sparkly hearts !!


I hope you have all found ways to bring some cheer into these miserable 'summer' days too!!

10 comments:

The Cloth Shed said...

Great transformation...from a bag of scraps to something so pretty.
The necklaces are lovely...you must have incredible patience to cut out and sew all those little flowers together.
No doubt your little mermaid will be happy with all this watery weather we are getting.
Julie x

Jayne said...

Another lovely array of goodies, the Posy necklace just so delicate and pretty. Aqua marina a beauty, watch out she doesn't swim away in all this water! Those twinkly, spinkly hearts bring a little sparkle to very dull summer days. More gorgeous work mrs P. jayne x

Rustic Vintage Country said...

What a basket of delights and such goodies to come from it, they are adorable and I love the mermaid. x

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Beautiful pieces Gill. I have baskets and shoe boxes full of bits as well : )I'm jealous of Aqua Marina's waistline too!

Ali said...

OOOh Gill what a fantastic basket of colourful shapes and textures - full of felty possibilities! Love the flowery necklaces that you picked and embellished from the basket!
Aqua Marina is stunning with her vibrant blue flowing curly locks...and that amazing figure!
Those sparkles do brighten up grey days!
Ali x

Unknown said...

the brilliant thing about felt is that even the tiniest bits can be used so you don't want to throw any of it away, I'm sure all felt makers are the same. Once again thank you all for your lovely comments.

Wendy said...

you have been busy! I wish I could turn my bag of scraps into something as pretty as these

Rustic Vintage Country said...

Flumoxed by Facebook!! This is more of a request and I can't find how to contact you direct so I'll ask you the question here if I may! Thanks for liking me on facebook, very much appreciated. I tried to like you back but as I'm registered as a small business it seems I can't, I can only do this with a personal facebook account. The thing that's confused me here is that you seem to have a business account and yet you were able to like me. Is there a way around this as I've been told no, it can only be done via a personal account. I'm not trying to pry, so please don't think I am, I'd just like to like people back on facebook. Does this make sense? the more I type the more it sounds like gobbly goop!! Most things I cope with but facebook....no! xo

jen said...

Love your posy necklaces! My poor husband dispairs at all of my millions of scrap bags/boxes/baskets..... as you say - even the tiniest wee thing can be useful and "just right" for some project further down the line!

Catharina Maria said...

The hearts are lovely !
♥RINI♥ love from the Netherlands